|Title||Training and education|
By the end of the training period trainees will, in respect of training and education, be able to:
- analyse, synthesise, evaluate and apply knowledge
- perform, adapt and master a range of skills
- demonstrate the attitudes and behaviours necessary for professional practice as a consultant clinical scientist dealing with the complexities, uncertainties and tensions of professional practice at this level.
Knowledge and understanding
By the end of the training period the trainee will be able to demonstrate the ability to analyse, evaluate and synthesise relevant knowledge and its application to their professional practice in relation to
- a range of teaching and assessment methods including the underpinning evidence base
- a range of different mentoring styles from the perspective of the learner and the teacher
- models of training including coaching instruction and mentoring
- the background knowledge of different healthcare groups at different stages of their career development and the need to establish what the learner already knows
- the curricula and training and assessment guidelines relating to colleagues being closely supervised
- clinical context before teaching or training others.
- methods available for evaluation of training
- opportunities and processes for funding
- national and local strategies for career development for relevant healthcare staff groups
- content of curricula, training and assessment guidelines for relevant healthcare staff groups legislative and regulatory requirements for professional development.
- understanding the background knowledge of different healthcare groups at different stages of their career development
Technical and clinical skills
By the end of the training period the trainee will be able to demonstrate a critical understanding of current relevant research, theory and knowledge and its application to the performance, adaptation and mastery of the following skills to:
- plan, prepare and evaluate a PowerPoint presentation
- perform literature searches to prepare teaching material
- plan, prepare and evaluate clinical and technical skills teaching sessions
- have empathy with other trainees and be able to deal effectively with those who need additional support.
- knowledge of practical procedures being demonstrated
- apply constructive listening, mentoring and appraisal skills
- demonstrate good presentation skills, public speaking
- organise and performs training and competency assessments for others
- identify own personal developments needs and organises training as required
- plan and organise continual professional development
- demonstrate independent self-directed learning.
By the end of the training period the trainee will be able to apply knowledge of training and education to perform, adapt and master the clinical skills necessary to manage:
- good interpersonal and communication skills
- skills in supervising, mentoring and assessing.
- have a good knowledge of the clinical context before teaching or training others.
- a range of evaluation techniques to improve teaching performance
- a range of feedback models to give effective feedback
- the variety of question types appropriate to the stage of learning and purpose
- good interpersonal and communication skills for example describing, explaining and instructing.
Attitudes and behaviours
This module has no attitude and behaviours information.