|Title||Haematology relating to other medical specialities and communication skills|
By the end of the training period trainees will, in respect of Haematology relating to other medical specialties and communication skills, be able to:
- analyse, synthesise, evaluate and apply knowledge
- perform a range of technical and clinical skills and procedures
- demonstrate the attitudes and behaviours necessary for professional practice as a consultant clinical scientist dealing with the complexities, uncertainties and tensions of professional practice at this level.
Knowledge and understanding
- Health and safety legislation and guidance
- ACDP categorisation of biological agents
- Laboratory safety and containment
- Transport regulations
By the end of the training period the trainee will be able to demonstrate the ability to analyse, evaluate and synthesise relevant knowledge and its application to their professional practice in relation to the:
- impact of systemic disease on the blood and bone marrow
- role of the haematology clinical scientist in management of:
- massive transfusion
- multi-organ failure
- haemostatic problems in pregnancy
- abnormalities of blood and bone marrow in the neonate
- value of good communication and the essential skills required
- requirement for accurate and contemporaneous record keeping
- principles of clinical audit including the audit cycle
- critical appraisal of research data.
Technical and clinical skills
By the end of the training period the trainee will be able to demonstrate a critical understanding of current relevant research, theory and knowledge and its application to the performance of the following technical procedures and laboratory skills:
- evaluate laboratory results in these clinical situations and provides appropriate and timely advice
- communicate clearly with colleagues in other specialities
- communicate clearly with colleagues in primary and secondary care
- participate in audit
- evaluate research data and/or publications in scientific journals.
Attitudes and behaviours
This module has no attitude and behaviours information.