|Title||Haemoglobin and porphyrias|
By the end of the training period trainees will, in respect of competencies in the clinical biochemistry of haemoglobin and porphyrias, be able to:
- analyse, synthesise, evaluate and apply knowledge
- perform a range of technical and clinical skills and procedures
- demonstrate the attitudes and behaviours necessary for professional practice as a consultant clinical scientist dealing with the complexities, uncertainties and tensions of professional practice at this level.
(N.B. Items in italics would probably not be encountered universally)
Knowledge and understanding
By the end of the training period the trainee will be able to demonstrate the ability to analyse, evaluate and synthesise relevant knowledge and its application to their professional practice in relation to:
- the normal physiology and clinical biochemistry of haem biosynthesis and haemoglobin metabolism
- the metabolic basis, diagnosis, investigation and monitoring of the following conditions:
- the acute porphyrias
- the cutaneous porphyrias
- the causes, investigation, diagnosis, monitoring and management of the following conditions:
- haemoglobin metabolism
- anaemia and its investigation
- assessment iron status
- detection abnormal haemoglobins: inherited and acquired
- metabolic basis of thalassaemia and sickle cell disease, screening
- red cell enzyme defects.
Technical and clinical skills
By the end of the training period the trainee will be able to demonstrate a critical understanding of current relevant research, theory and knowledge and its application to the performance of the following technical procedures and laboratory skills:
- the technical aspects of the investigation of disorders of haem biosynthesis (porphyrias) and haemoglobin metabolism
- the laboratory investigations of disorders of haem biosynthesis and haemoglobin metabolism.
By the end of the training period trainees will, in respect of the competencies in the clinical biochemistry of haemoglobin and porpyrias, be able to perform the clinical skills necessary to manage under supervision:
- liaison with the clinical team on the appropriate specimen collection, specimen handling and monitoring of biochemical tests in disorders of haem biosynthesis (porphyrias), haemoglobin, haem and red cell enzyme metabolism.
Attitudes and behaviours
This module has no attitude and behaviours information.