By the end of the training period trainees will, in respect of developing skills and knowledge required for provision of clinical advice on all aspects of H&I in disease be able to:
- analyse, synthesise, evaluate and apply knowledge
- perform, adapt and master a range of technical and clinical skills and procedures
- demonstrate the attitudes and behaviours necessary for professional practice as a consultant clinical scientist dealing with the complexities, uncertainties and tensions of professional practice at this level.
Knowledge and understanding
By the end of the training period the trainee will be able to demonstrate the ability to analyse, evaluate and synthesise relevant knowledge and its application to their professional practice in relation to the:
- proposed mechanisms of HLA polymorphisms and disease susceptibility/protection
- use of HLA polymorphisms in disease diagnosis and treatment
- design of studies to show disease and pharmacogenetic associations with HLA and other MHC genes
- statistical methods used in population genetics.
Technical and clinical skills
By the end of the training period the trainee will be able to demonstrate a critical understanding of current relevant research, theory and knowledge and its application to the performance, adaptation and mastery of the following technical procedures and laboratory skills:
- plans appropriate testing strategy for patients according to disease
- analyse and interpret test results and identify requirements for further testing.
By the end of the training period the trainee will be able to apply knowledge of H&I in disease to perform, adapt and master the clinical skills necessary to:
- interpret and apply findings of individual and multiple tests to provide clinical advice relevant to:
- disease diagnosis
- risk of related individuals
- risk of drug treatments
- apply knowledge of professional guidelines and standards to strategies for patient management.
Attitudes and behaviours
This module has no attitude and behaviours information.