Identify and work through counselling issues raised in trainee led consultations using counselling supervision
- Active listening skills
- Ability to establish a good rapport with the individual/family
- Clarification skills
- Reflection and summary skills
- Appropriate use of empathic statements
- Models of grief and loss
- Support mechanisms.
- Family communication
- Recognition of different response such as guilt and shame
- Effective use of counselling supervision.
- Reflective practice
- AGNC code of ethics
- GCRB code of conduct
- Good scientific practice
- HCPC standards of proficiency
- Issues around the counselling relationship including:
- Transference and counter transference
- Managing patient expectations
- How an appreciation of these issues can enhance the process of genetic counselling
Relevant learning outcomes
Use counselling supervision and multidisciplinary meetings to work through ethical and cultural issues in genomic counselling practice.