|Title||Competencies in research and development - Statistics 1|
By the end of the training period trainees will, in respect of critical assessment of published work and an understanding of basic statistical methods be able to
- analyse, synthesise, evaluate and apply knowledge
- perform, adapt and master a range of technical and clinical skills and procedures
- demonstrate the attitudes and behaviours necessary for professional practice as a consultant clinical scientist dealing with the complexities, uncertainties and tensions of professional practice at this level.
Knowledge and understanding
By the end of the training period the trainee will be able to demonstrate the ability to analyse, evaluate and synthesise relevant knowledge and its application to their professional practice in relation to:
- critically review and appraisal of literature
- assess the validity of data, experimental design and problem solving techniques
- implement evidence-based medical toxicology and therapeutics
- use library and IT facilities
- demonstrate data handling and statistical methods
- demonstrate statistical interpretation of:
- laboratory and population data
- mean, standard error of the mean, standard deviation
- linear regression and correlation methods
- methods of assessing agreement between methods
- concept of significance and related statistics, confidence intervals
- non-parametric statistics (median, etc.)
- predictive value: positive and negative
- specificity and sensitivity
- receiver operating characteristic curves.
Technical and clinical skills
By the end of the training period the trainee will be able to demonstrate a critical understanding of current relevant research, theory and knowledge and its application to the performance, adaptation and mastery of the following technical procedures and laboratory skills:
- computer use within the laboratory: spread sheets, databases
- correct analysis of results using appropriate statistical tools.
By the end of the training period the trainee will be able to apply knowledge of competencies in research and development to perform, adapt and master the clinical skills necessary to manage to:
- liaise fully with clinical colleagues.
Attitudes and behaviours
This module has no attitude and behaviours information.