By the end of the training period trainees will, in respect of transfusion microbiology, be able to:
- analyse, synthesise, evaluate and apply knowledge
- perform, adapt and master a range of technical and clinical skills and procedures
- demonstrate the attitudes and behaviours necessary for professional practice as a consultant clinical scientist dealing with the complexities, uncertainties and tensions of professional practice at this level.
Knowledge and understanding
By the end of the training period the trainee will be able to demonstrate the ability to analyse, evaluate and synthesise relevant knowledge and its application to their professional practice in relation to
- risks of transfusion-transmitted infections (viral and bacterial) in immunocompetant and immunocompromised recipients
- basic knowledge about virus types, detection systems and modes of transmission
- mandatory screening for markers of diseases transmissible by transfusion:
- rationale for selection of mandatory tests and the international perspective
- basis of screening and screening methodologies
- assessment and selection of testing kits
- confirmatory assays
- selective donor screening for other transmissible infections, including bacteria
- surveillance, look-back procedures and investigation of post-transfusion infection
- donor epidemiology; non-remunerated versus paid donors.
Technical and clinical skills
By the end of the training period the trainee will be able to demonstrate a critical understanding of current relevant research, theory and knowledge and its application to the performance, adaptation and mastery of the following technical procedures and laboratory skills:
- understand the theoretical knowledge needed to practise this aspect of transfusion
- theoretical understanding for the reasons for undertaking universal screening for some agents and ability to undertake these assays
- theoretical understanding for the reasons for undertaking selected screening for some agents and ability to undertake these assays
- understand the needs for such studies and how to undertake them and can advise on investigations of transfusion transmitted infections
- understand the theory for donor selection criteria.
Attitudes and behaviours
This module has no attitude and behaviours information.