|Title||Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics in Blood transfusion 2|
By the end of the training period trainees will, in respect of developing skills and knowledge required for provision of clinical advice on all aspects of H&I in blood transfusion be able to;
- analyse, synthesise, evaluate and apply knowledge
- perform, adapt and master a range of technical and clinical skills and procedures
- demonstrate the attitudes and behaviours necessary for professional practice as a consultant clinical scientist dealing with the complexities, uncertainties and tensions of professional practice at this level.
Knowledge and understanding
By the end of the training period the trainee will be able to demonstrate the ability to analyse, evaluate and synthesise relevant knowledge and its application to their professional practice in relation to the:
- factors influencing transfusion outcome
- HLA,HPA,HNA matching
- CMV status
- ABO matching
- other gene polymorphisms
- HLA, HPA HNA ABO antibodies
- donor/recipient characteristics
- impact of factors above in assessment of risk
- impact of factors above in assessing likelihood of finding a donor
- use and application of in-silico assays, e.g. HLA Matchmaker.
Technical and clinical skills
By the end of the training period the trainee will be able to demonstrate a critical understanding of current relevant research, theory and knowledge and its application to the performance, adaptation and mastery of the following technical procedures and laboratory skills:
- plan appropriate testing strategy for patients according to transfusion type
- analyse and interpret test results and identify requirements for further testing.
By the end of the training period the trainee will be able to apply knowledge of H&I in blood transfusion to perform, adapt and master the clinical skills necessary to manage to:
- interpret and apply findings of individual and multiple tests to provide clinical advice relevant to:
- selection of appropriate donors or recipients for transfusion and assessment of risk
- likelihood of finding a suitable donor
- requirements for and success of post transfusion monitoring
- apply knowledge of professional guidelines and standards to strategies for patient management.
Attitudes and behaviours
This module has no attitude and behaviours information.