|Title||Techniques used in the application of H and I Services|
By the end of the training period trainees will, in respect to developing a working knowledge of the selection and interpretation of tests routinely used in an H&I laboratory, be able to:
- analyse, synthesise, evaluate and apply knowledge
- perform, adapt and master a range of technical and clinical skills and procedures and
- demonstrate the attitudes and behaviours necessary for professional practise as a Consultant Clinical Scientist dealing with the complexities, uncertainties and tensions of professional practise at this level
Knowledge and understanding
By the end of the training period the trainee will be able to demonstrate the ability to analyse, evaluate and synthesise relevant knowledge and its application to their professional practice in relation to the:
- Principles of HLA typing assays: SSP, SSOP, DNA probe-based hybridisation, SBT, arrays, next generation sequencing.
- Principles of antibody detection and crossmatching techniques: CDC, flow cytometry, ELISA,
- Criteria for test selection and application to clinical specialism
- Limitations and clinical relevance of available tests.
Technical and clinical skills
By the end of the training period the trainee will be able to demonstrate a critical understanding of current relevant research, theory and knowledge and its application to the performance, adaptation and mastery of the following technical procedures and laboratory skills:
- Perform procedures to validate results e.g. family pedigree information.
- Produce accurate and relevant laboratory reports with appropriate interpretive
- Use correct HLA nomenclature and level of resolution appropriate to specific requirements.
By the end of the training period the trainee will be able to apply knowledge of histocompatibility and immunogenetics to perform, adapt and master the clinical skills necessary to:
- Demonstrate the competence to provide clinical advice on requirements for additional/subsequent
- Demonstrate the competence to advise on the diagnostic value of test results.
Attitudes and behaviours
This module has no attitude and behaviours information.