|Title||Presentation and management of fertility preservation|
By the end of the training period trainees will, in respect to the presentation and management of fertility preservation be able to
- analyse, synthesise, evaluate and apply knowledge
- perform, adapt and master a range of technical and clinical skills and procedures
- demonstrate the attitudes and behaviours necessary for professional practice as a consultant clinical scientist dealing with the complexities, uncertainties and tensions of professional practice at this level.
Knowledge and understanding
By the end of the training period the trainee will be able to demonstrate the ability to analyse, evaluate and synthesise relevant knowledge and its application to their professional practice in relation to:
- fertility preservation options prior to gonadotoxic treatment or surgery
- childhood cancer and fertility preservation
- management of premature gonadal failure
- gamete and embryo preservation
- gamete preservation for transgender patients
- tissue preservation
- ethico-legal issues and consents
- social gamete freezing
- psychological aspects of the decision-making process
- donated gametes, embryos and surrogacy.
Technical and clinical skills
By the end of the training period the trainee will be able to demonstrate a critical understanding of current relevant research, theory and knowledge and its application to the performance, adaptation and mastery of the following skills:
- managing fertility preservation
By the end of the training period the trainee will be able to apply knowledge of the presentation and management of fertility preservation to perform, adapt and master the clinical skills necessary to manage to:
- liaise with and advise the patient and clinical colleagues, using the available evidence base, on the diagnosis and management and treatment relating to fertility preservation
- liaise with all health professionals and regulatory bodies as appropriate regarding the management relating to fertility preservation.
Attitudes and behaviours
This module has no attitude and behaviours information.